Being the makeup addict that I am, I have tried all sorts department store and drug store mascaras. I am def a sucker for a good marketing campaign. L’Oreal Paris, CoverGirl, and Revlon have some great commercials and brand ambassadors that draw me to their product (I wonder if the celebs endorsing the products actually use them?). I’m also a sucker for glam packaging which most of the luxury mascaras dominate over the cheapo mascaras (YSL, how are you SO beautiful?).
Although ads and packaging are fun and great, a mascaras quality is what truly matters. Everyone is generally looking for a mascara that 1)thickens 2)lengthens and 3)curls their lashes. Here is just a few I’ve tried and my thoughts:
- Clinique High Impact Mascara- The formula was WAY too dry for me.
- Maybelline Falsie- It clumps my lashes together and hard to get off.
- Maybelline Great Lash- This mascara is always in magazines as a celeb/beautician fav. and is also super affordable.
- MAC Zoom Fast Black Lash- You would think for a brand that was known to be dramatic, they would produce one quality mascara!
- L’Oreal Paris Voluminous- It used to be my fav. but I realized it clumped my lashes more than making them voluminous.
- Revlon Grow Luscious Waterproof- I am NOT a fan of waterproof mascaras.
- YSL Volume Effect Faux Cils- What perfect packaging right? The whole idea behind this mascara is the “fake lash” look but doesn’t do much for thickening of lashes and focuses on lengthening. I think it is way too expensive too!
- Urban Decay Big Fatty Mascara- I tried it because a friend suggested it and didn’t think it gave me length or volume. All this mascara gave me was a headache because it wore off super fast!
- Lancome Hypnose-I’m a fan because it makes my lashes look even longer than they already are, but for the price? No thanks.
- Lancome Definicils-It separates lashes well, but I would use Hypnose before Definicil.
Everyone reacts to mascaras in different ways depending on the type of lashes they have. That being said, I think it’s important to describe my lash type before sharing my picks for most overrated and underrated products. I have long, thin lashes so when I am in search of a mascara I look for one that will make my lashes more voluminous. It’s important to pick a mascara that caters to YOUR individual lash needs and NOT just by what your friend or favorite celeb wears for the best results.
OVERRATED: DIORSHOW BY CHRISTIAN DIOR
It’s not that I don’t think this is a good mascara, it’s just that I don’t think it is worth the price. DiorShow is more about showing off the Christian Dior brand name than anything. Also, the mascara dried out fairly quick within the tube (so annoying). Although this mascara doesn’t flake or smudge, I find it useless for lash thickening. All in all, this product has been way too hyped up by magazines and the world. I just don’t get/agree with the obsession.
UNDERRATED: LASH BLAST BY COVERGIRL
Not in a million years did I think that I would find my fav. mascara from my local CVS. CoverGirl Lash Blast mascara perfectly separates my lashes, thickens them, and gives just the right amount of curl. It is SUPER affordable and doesn’t dry up easily. The formula is wet but not runny at the same time. It doesn’t smudge and is not a pain to get off. For those of you who have the same issue as me and need a mascara that will thicken your lashes without leaving any sort of clump, this is the one! P.S I’m not a fan of the waterproof version because it is much harder to get off. If you are trying this product for the first time, make sure to get the original one (NOT the waterproof) and see if it meets your needs.
COMING SOON: 5 MUST-KNOW TIPS WHEN APPLYING YOUR MASCARA
What mascara works for YOUR lash type?